Here are 10 things you can do to improve your credit score:
- Pay your bills on time
- Keep credit card balances low
- Check your credit report for accuracy. You can obtain a free copy of all 3 reports at www.annualcreditreport.com
- Pay down debt
- Use credit cards but manage them responsibly
- Don’t open multiple accounts too quickly especially if you have a short credit history
- Don’t close an account to remove it from your record
- Shop for a loan within a focused period of time
- Don’t open new credit card accounts you don’t need
- Contact your creditors if you are having financial difficulties. Many will work with you in times of trouble
It is best to check your credit report on an annual basis. This will help ensure there is no fraud activity on your credit report but also help you see what is out there to manage. You can access your report from all 3 credit bureaus at www.annualcreditreport.com.
Higher credit scores generally qualify for better interest rates, higher credit limits and more types of credit than a lower score. Contact the loan department if you would like more information on what you can do to keep your score high.